Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a common condition affecting millions worldwide. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway located on the palm side of the wrist, and the syndrome refers to the symptoms experienced when the median nerve, which runs through this tunnel, gets compressed. Alliance Orthopedics is committed to providing expert knowledge, care, and treatment options for those suffering from this condition. Whether you have mild or severe symptoms, our experienced team can help manage and alleviate your pain.
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Before we explore the common causes of CTS, it’s vital to understand the role of the carpal tunnel and the median nerve. The median nerve provides sensation to the thumb, index, middle, and part of the ring finger. When compressed, it can lead to symptoms of CTS. Alliance Orthopedics will help you determine the underlying cause of your CTS and develop an effective treatment plan to alleviate your symptoms. While there may be numerous causes for this compression, the following are the most prevalent:
- Repetitive Hand Movements: Prolonged and repetitive hand and wrist activities may lead to swelling inside the tunnel, compressing the median nerve.
- Wrist Injuries: Sprains or fractures can cause the carpal tunnel to become narrowed.
- Hormonal Changes: Pregnant women and those experiencing menopause may report symptoms due to hormonal changes causing swelling.
- Health Conditions: Conditions like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and thyroid gland imbalance can increase the risk.
- Fluid Retention: This can occur during pregnancy or because of health conditions, leading to increased pressure within the carpal tunnel.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Symptoms
Recognizing the symptoms of CTS is the first step to seeking appropriate care and treatment. Alliance Orthopedics has a team of experts dedicated to diagnosing and managing your symptoms. If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the following symptoms, it’s time to schedule a consultation with Alliance Orthopedics:
- Numbness and Tingling: Particularly in the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers
- Weakness: Difficulty in holding objects or a tendency to drop them
- Pain: Radiating pain from the wrist upwards, sometimes extending up the arm
- Burning Sensation: Often felt in the palm and fingers
- Night-time Symptoms: Many patients report that their symptoms worsen during the night
At Alliance Orthopedics, we believe in a holistic approach to treatment, which often starts with conservative measures and progresses depending on the severity and individual needs of the patient. Through our state-of-the-art modalities and treatments, we can help alleviate your symptoms and improve your quality of life. Treatment options may include:
- Wrist Splints: Keeping the wrist in a neutral position with the use of splints can help alleviate symptoms
- Occupational Therapy: Our team of occupational therapists will develop an exercise program to strengthen and stretch the affected area.
- Corticosteroids: Injections may decrease swelling and alleviate symptoms for some patients
- Activity Changes: Modifying or avoiding activities causing wrist strain may help in symptom relief.
Surgical intervention might be recommended for patients whose symptoms persist or worsen despite conservative treatments. Carpal tunnel release surgery can relieve pressure on the median nerve and improve symptoms in most patients. We will help you choose the best treatment plan for your condition and needs.
At Alliance Orthopedics, we understand the impact CTS may have on your daily life. Our team is dedicated to providing expert care and treatment options tailored to your specific needs, helping you get back to doing what you love. Don’t let carpal tunnel syndrome hold you back any longer – schedule a consultation with Alliance Orthopedics today and let us help you find relief from your symptoms.